Asset Manager (Renewables)
Job ID: 1045
Our client operates as a developer, owner, operator, and investor in power generation and other electric infrastructure in the United States. The company operates fossil-fired power plants; and renewable power plants, such as solar photovoltaic power projects and wind farms, and natural gas-fired combined cycle facilities. They identify the need for new power generation and other energy infrastructure and work with their customers, including investor-owned utilities, electric cooperatives, municipal utilities, and regional power pools, to sell competitively priced electricity on a wholesale basis
The Asset Manager will manage several solar power facilities, as well as the start-up and operation of a battery energy storage project. Responsibilities shall include operations and maintenance, regulatory, technical challenges, P&L, budget, and general commercial responsibility.
- Overall accountability for at least two solar power projects including profit and loss responsibility.
- Function as the owner’s representative under a multitude of project contracts including the sale of electricity, energy management, multi-party partnership, operation and maintenance, property tax, financing, and interconnection agreements.
- Identify project optimization opportunities such as contract market opportunities that improve revenue, operational and process improvements.
- Provide oversight and management of power market interface, regulatory and environmental compliance, community relations, budget development and cost controls/accounting, process management to ensure production optimization and best practices, and direct interface with third party operation and maintenance provider.
- Represent owner in regulatory proceedings including monitoring and identification of such proceedings.
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the plant through a Plant Manager and his/her staff to run at optimal efficiency.
- Interface and support of the development of work processes to ensure O&M best practices and have familiarity with reliability-centered maintenance. Develop historical and forward-looking reliability to include recommendations and maintenance of critical parts inventory.
- Development of top tier performance metrics that align plant priorities with safety, environmental and regulatory compliance, and optimal profitability.
- Ensure plant performance is optimized, captured, and communicated to the energy manager through the development of incremental cost curves that maximize output while minimizing cost including plant wear and tear.
- Interface with various groups within owner’s company to effectively communicate financial performance and projections.
- Manage warranty issues, claim and post-warranty maintenance plans.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the power industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferred but not required.
- Ability to think creatively, work independently, and pay attention to detail. Must be a self-starter who is willing to roll-up his/her sleeves to get the work done.
- Strong knowledge of power sales arrangements including merchant and contractual in ISO and bilateral markets. Understanding of the various products available to sell such as real power, ancillary services, reactive power and others. Understanding of offer process for both energy and capacity in ISO markets.
- Solid knowledge of utility-scale solar operations, including electricity commodity market, delivery costs, storage, and hedging strongly preferred.
- Start-up experience of any Renewable Energy facility, including Energy Storage a plus.
- Familiar with rules and regulations in OSHA, NERC, CAISO, FERC, and other industry organizations.
- Ability to understand complicated contractual arrangements including the interplay between contracts and the implications of contract language on operations.
- Good understanding of solar plant processes for specific equipment and collectively to support development of cost projections.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and quickly real time equipment reliability issues with cost and availability implications. Additionally must be able to effectively review and approve recommended process and equipment practices and spending.
- Awareness and appreciation of plant culture to effect safety, compliance, reliability, and ultimately profitability.
- Hands-on experience with ISO Settlements, reconciliation, and other back office functions.