Head of Product Control
Job ID: 1046
Our client is a renowned physical supplier in key bunkering ports; they understand the need for reliable product. With a wide variety of supply options and control of its delivery logistics, our client is a trusted supplier to the global shipping community. With offices worldwide, the firm is one of the few truly independent suppliers and resellers of bunkers in the world. With no corporate shareholders to answer to, they can concentrate on delivering the best quality service and supporting customers to grow their business. Recently opened an office in Houston and is looking for a key contributor to do the following:
- Building a team of Product Control Analysts managing priorities and resource requirements. Attracting, developing, performance managing and retaining staff to maintain a consistently high level of expertise within the team; this includes annual performance and development reviews.
- Supporting the growth agenda and ensuring that new business opportunities are assessed appropriately within the businesses risk framework.
- Encouraging a culture of continuous improvement to increase efficiency and effectiveness of processes and controls. Has track record for automating processes;
- Responsible for the preparation and production of the daily P&L (Gross Margin) processes and timely provision of monthly key performance indicators (KPI’s) to enable the business team to understand and manage trading performance, including daily exposure and P&L reporting, analysis, limit monitoring and monthly MI (Management Information) to MA (Management Accounts) reconciliations.
- Close liaison with sales desks and traders in contract locations to ensure data is accurate and timely; and, with the physical operations teams for reviewing all stock movements, either in tank, barges, waterborne, in pipe, etc. (delivered or to be delivered).
- Identify and implement process and system improvements to streamline activities performed by core team and enable increased focus on results analysis.
- Maintaining a good knowledge of market conditions through the use of provided tools; demonstration of current best practices and continuous learning.
- Proactively providing to the business beneficial commercial analysis. Specifically, monthly commercial performance measures, fixed cost reporting and analysis, analysis of pricing and basis risk around physical operations.
- Responsible for reviewing and checking daily physical and paper transactions have been posted correctly, are within Trading Delegations of Authority, and to ensure the hedging is carried out correctly each day.
- Owning the Month-end and Quarter-end processes, including accountability for ensuring that Product Control outputs are compliant with accounting standards and policies.
- Escalation point for trading limit breaches and other significant financial issues and incidents.
- Mitigation of risk in relation to errors and corrections resulting in incorrect deal entry or hedging where gains and losses can be significant.
- Stock control; To analyze the operative performance of our barges (loadings, deliveries, transfers, loss control) and terminals and look for cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensuring integrity of data through the implementation and use of suitable controls.
- Influencing the IT/IS system agenda to ensure that all Product Control system needs are met.
- Liaising with external audit teams on Product Control matters.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with Front Office, IT/IS, Finance and other Middle Office teams, across all international locations.
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent, in Finance/Engineering/Mathematics or similar high numeracy discipline.
- Accounting certifications preferred; CPA, ACA, CIMA, GARP, and/or ERP.
- Minimum ten (10) years product control experience within oil trading, including physical trading; additionally, should have held other relevant positions within an energy trading environment.
- Extensive Product Control & physical oil experience; a deep understanding of trading concepts and exposure and the key controls required to support a trading business.
- Subject Matter Expert in accounting and reporting.
- Previous management experience and a track record of successfully leading and motivating a high performing team; Leadership experience.
- Strong IT/IS skills and aptitude, experience of driving IT/IS system improvements.
- Able to take, and maintain, an independent approach and challenge where appropriate.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate complex issues simply.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player, able to build strong working relationships within, and across, teams internationally.
- Strong analytical capabilities and high degree of numeracy.
- Commercial awareness and understanding.
- Excellent Excel capabilities to macro level (VBA).
Note: Daily working hours may be variable and unpredictable owing to the demands of the job within an evolving trading environment; as such, the role requires a good deal of flexibility to accommodate potential demands on time.